Employment Services Volunteer
80 Sherman Street
Type(s) of Volunteer(s) Needed: Individuals; Students
Position description: Under the supervision of the Employment Case Manager, the Employment Services Volunteer will assist refugees in securing employment in the Greater Portland area.
- Meet with clients individually and/or in groups to teach them about American workplace culture, standards, and expectations
- Help clients develop resumes and cover letters and fill out job applications
- Conduct practice job interviews with clients
- Research job opportunities for refugees and assist with job club and employment orientation
- Assist with other employment-related direct client service and administrative duties as needed
- If 21 or older with a valid drivers license and clean driving record, volunteer may be asked to transport clients to employment related appointments
Impact of opportunity: The Employment Services Volunteer will support the mission of Catholic Charities Maine and RIS as the primary provider of resettlement services to refugees in Maine. RIS continues to welcome refugee families to Maine from the Middle East and East Africa throughout the year. One of the primary goals of RIS is to facilitate integration and promote self-sufficiency, a major part of which is helping refugees to secure employment. The Employment Services Volunteer will be directly involved in work that helps refugees find employment and become part of their new community.
Qualifications & Skills Required:
- Experience and/or interest in working with diverse populations and a multicultural staff (Must be comfortable in interacting with staff and clients of all nationalities)
- Self motivated and able to take initiative and work independently
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills
- College degree (or in progress) in International Relations, Sociology, Communications, or related field
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Valid current driver’s license and clean driving record
- Solid background in Microsoft Office – Word, PowerPoint, Outlook
Training Offered: Catholic Charities Voluntere Orientation, Introduction to RIS and the Employment Services Volunteer position; Additional training as needed.
Time Commitment/Schedule: Flexible scheduling, but likely 6-20 hours each week, 6 month to 1 year commitment preferred.
- Gain substantial insight into the refugee resettlement and acculturation processes and an increased understanding of the diverse cultures among us
- Gain valuable experience working in a fast-paced, dynamic, multicultural environment
- Develop additional research projects and activities to support clients based on personal interests
Program Contact: Paul Mullaney, firstname.lastname@example.org