Central American Minor (CAM) Program Outreach Volunteer
Refugee & Immigration Services
80 Sherman St.
Portland, ME 04102
Position description: The Central American Minors (CAM) Program is a new refugee program created to assist families from El Salvador, Honduras and Guatemala. Available exclusively through refugee resettlement agencies such as Catholic Charities Maine’s RIS program, the CAM program provides a unique means for documented US parents to bring at risk children, spouses and essential caregivers to join them in safety in the United States. The CAM Program Outreach Volunteer will work in conjunction with the CAM Program Outreach Coordinator through providing in-person outreach to Maine's Latin@/Hispanic Community with the goal of increasing referrals to the newly expanded program that offers refugee resettlement to minor children from Central America.
- Connecting with organizations, service providers, individuals, and community members who can get the message out regarding our new role with the Latin@/Hispanic community
- Visit locations, distribute brochures, and post notices
- Attending area Latin@/Hispanic Community events and provide information to potential beneficiaries
Impact of opportunity: The volunteer will be assisting in RIS’s mission by helping to reunify families and bring children and their relatives to safety in the United States.
Qualifications & Skills Required:
- Spanish language skills
- People skills
- Ability and willingness to travel to distant parts of the state to connect with local communities
Training Offered: One-on-one support for program specifics and office operations
Time Commitment/Schedule: The outreach volunteer would ideally be available to take assignments on an as needed basis.
- Increased depth of understanding of refugee resettlement and related matters
- Opportunity to support family reunification for an underserved population
Program Contact: Judith Southworth, (207) 523-2793 or JSouthworth@ccmaine.org