Assistant to the Instructional Materials Center Coordinator - Services for the Blind (ESBVIC)
Governor Hill Mansion
136 State St.
Augusta, ME 04330
Type(s) of Volunteer(s) Needed: Individual
Position description: Education Services for Blind and Visually Impaired Children (or ESBVIC) is a statewide service of Catholic Charities Maine providing assessment, instruction, and consultation to blind and visually impaired children, their parents, and school personnel. Among the services we offer are: low vision training, braille instruction, instruction in use of adaptive equipment, selection and/or modification of specialized curriculum, activities of daily living, strategies to facilitate concept development, and consultation to schools and families about the implications of visual impairment.
The Volunteer Assistant to the Coordinator of Instructional Materials Center (or IMC) would assist the coordinator by packing and unpacking boxes of books. They would carry them up and down a short flight of stairs to load or unload a vehicle. They may help organize shelves, keep inventory, etc.
- Carrying boxes to and from delivery area
- Moving books and materials around the library
- Keeping an inventory of materials
Impact of opportunity: The IMC stores materials for the education of children with a visual impairment. This position would help us to get materials out to students and schools in a timely manner so they can have books at the same time as their classmates.
Qualifications & Skills Required:
- Ability to lift and carry boxes up to 50lb
- Dependable person who can take direction from the IMC coordinator
Training Offered: Catholic Charities Maine Agency Orientation; On-the-Job training
Time Commitment/Schedule: Flexible, about 6 hours or so per week preferred; a semester commitment would be fine
- Knowledge that they are helping our students get the materials they need to participate fully in their education.
- They will help the IMC coordinator and make her job that much easier and more efficient as they help with some of the heavy lifting.