Central American Minor (CAM) Program Outreach Coordinator
Refugee & Immigration Services
80 Sherman St.
Portland, ME 04102
Position description: The Central American Minors (CAM) Program is a new refugee program created to assist families from El Salvador, Honduras and Guatemala. Available exclusively through refugee resettlement agencies such as Catholic Charities Maine’s RIS program, the CAM program provides a unique means for documented US parents to bring at risk children, spouses and essential caregivers to join them in safety in the United States. The CAM Program Outreach Coordinator will help to organize and implement outreach to Maine's Latin@/Hispanic Community. In response to the newly expanded program that offers refugee resettlement to minor children from Central America, this position will aim to increase referrals to RIS.
- Identifying organizations, service providers, individuals, and community members who can get the message out regarding our new role with the Latin@/Hispanic community
- Identifying locations for posting notices
- Identifying community events where the Latin@/Hispanic community may gather
- Assigning outreach volunteers to attend community events
Impact of opportunity: The volunteer will be assisting in RIS’s mission by helping to reunify families and bring children and their relatives to safety in the United States
Qualifications & Skills Required:
- Spanish language skills
- Organizing skills
- Ability and willingness to travel to distant parts of the state to connect with local communities
Training Offered: One-on-one support for program specifics and office operations
Time Commitment/Schedule: The organizer will ideally be able to commit for a minimum academic or full calendar year to regular outreach coordination.
- Increased depth of understanding of refugee resettlement and related matters
- Opportunity to support family reunification for an underserved population
Program Contact: Judith Southworth, (207) 523-2793 or JSouthworth@ccmaine.org