Visitation Volunteer for SEARCH - Bangor/Brewer & Penobscot County
SEARCH - Greater Bath
St. Michael's Center, 436 South Main Street, Brewer, ME 04112
Type(s) of Volunteer(s) Needed: Individuals
Position description: Visitation Volunteers for SEARCH - Penobscot are matched with an elderly person to visit with for a few hours each week and provide support, companionship, and help with daily tasks.
- Visit an elderly person 3-4+ hours per week and provide services as agreed upon
- Notify the SEARCH - program of any changes or concerns regarding the person’s circumstances
- Send in a monthly service report
- Maintain regular communication with SEARCH - Penobscot staff
- Understand and adhere to the principle of confidentiality
- Handle all financial transactions in an honest, responsible manner and report the accurately to the person served and to the program
Impact of opportunity: Visitation Volunteers for SEARCH - Penobscot support the mission of the SEARCH - Penobscot program to enable the frail, vulnerable elderly to remain independent and increasingly connected to a caring community.
Qualifications & Skills Required:
- Education sufficient enough to be able to communicate in a capable manner and to be able to communicate reports to the program staff
- Experience with the elderly on a formal or informal basis (recommended)
- A willingness to demonstrate patience, sensitivity, flexibility
- The ability to listen to, work with, and help an elderly person
- Vehicle and valid driver’s license with state required insurance
Training Offered: Visitation Volunteers must participate in Catholic Charities Maine Volunteer Orientation and initial training offered by the program, and then he/she may attend volunteer support group meetings or scheduled workshops as they are offered.
Time Commitment/Schedule: 3-4 hours or more per week
- Build a relationship with an elderly person and gain experience supporting him or her with daily tasks
Program Contact: Jane French, [email protected] or (207) 245-8042.
Click Here to Apply Online
< Back to Volunteer Opportunities