Case Aide Volunteer/Internship (Summer or Fall 2022) - Refugee & Immigration Services (Portland)
Refugee & Immigration Services
80 Sherman Street
Type(s) of Volunteer(s) Needed: Individuals; Students (It is required to be 21 or older)
Position description: The Case Aide Volunteer will help staff with direct service and administrative tasks to support new refugee arrivals in the Greater Portland area.
- Assist refugees with accessing initial services and appointments
- Volunteers will assist with a range of services, including housing preparation, Social Security registration, DHHS appointments, school registration, and medical needs
- In accomplishing these tasks, volunteers will interact with various social service providers, interpreters, RIS staff, and a diverse refugee population.
- Assist the refugee resettlement program with necessary documentation, paperwork, and file upkeep
- Office tasks will include completing forms, maintaining files, processing mail, contacting and coordinating with clients, and assisting the case managers.
Impact of opportunity: The Case Aide Volunteer/Intern will support the mission of Catholic Charities Maine and RIS as the primary provider of resettlement services to refugees in Maine. Many of these clients arrive in Maine with few possessions and often have suffered trauma and loss of family members. The volunteer will work with RIS staff to begin a new life here and become a self-sufficient part of their new community.
Qualifications & Skills Required:
- Aged 21 or older
- Interest in working with diverse populations
- Study in International Relations, Sociology, Anthropology, or related field preferred
- Valid current driver’s license and clean driving record
- Solid computer skills – internet, databases, Microsoft Office, etc.
- Maturity, professionalism, initiative, sound judgment, and dependability required
- Confidence and self-motivation to work independently in challenging situations
- Strong interpersonal skills and desire to work closely in a team setting
- A positive outlook on cultural differences and a good sense of humor
Training Offered: Catholic Charities Maine Volunteer Orientation & training specific to RIS and the Case Aide Volunteer/Internship position
Time Commitment/Schedule: Flexible scheduling, but we are looking for someone who can reliably serve 15-20 hours/week.
- Gain knowledge of the international refugee resettlement program, immigrant populations in the United States, and a multitude of social services
- Gain valuable experience working in a fast-paced, dynamic, multicultural environment
- Develop additional research projects and activities to support clients based on personal interests
- Gain valuable experience in international issues, refugee and immigration issues, and social services
Program Contact: Karen Brewer, [email protected] or [email protected]
Click Here to Apply Online
< Back to Volunteer Opportunities