Cultural and Life Skills Coordinator, Lewiston
Refugee & Immigration Services
Refugee and Immigration Services Office
City Hall, 27 Pine St. Lewiston, ME 04240
- Design and conduct monthly community orientations/workshops for new arrivals & secondary migrants in both Lewiston & Portland offices.
- Meet bi-weekly, or as needed, with the Case Management Supervisor, Case Managers, and Employment Case Managers to discuss any refugee/immigrant issues within the community at large—make referrals as needed.
- Organize & conduct cultural orientations to community members, employers (new & existing partners) and other service providers in the area.
- Provide life skills training workshops & one-on-one life skills training, to include but not limited to: housekeeping, money management, transportation (including bus tour), public safety and family education.
- Maintain/Track data for RIS reporting purposes. Monthly Reports should be submitted to the Site Supervisor by the 3rd of each month.
- Maintain a valid driver’s license and clean driving record.Impact of opportunity: The Cultural and Life Skills Coordinator will support the mission of Catholic Charities Maine and RIS as the primary provider of resettlement services to refugees in Maine. Many of these clients arrive in Maine with few possessions and often have suffered trauma and loss of family members. The volunteer is to plan cultural orientation events for newly arrived refugees in the Lewiston area that will help them resettle successfully.Qualifications & Skills Required:
- Experience working with people from different cultural backgrounds
- Working knowledge of social service issues, experience in community organizing and public speaking,
- A knowledge base of life skills training programs, and the ability to conduct training workshops/orientations.
- Flexibility, maturity, initiative, dependability, strong interpersonal skills, and the ability to work with individuals from cultural backgrounds significantly dissimilar to his/her own and with different interests and opinions to his/her own.
- Ability to establish and maintain professional boundaries with clients and co-workers.
Training Offered: Catholic Charities Maine Volunteer Orientation and training specific to RIS and the Cultural and Life Skills position in Lewiston
Time Commitment/Schedule: Flexible, but will likely be approximately 3-5 hours each week. The Cultural Orientation Presentation is scheduled to occur monthly.
- Gain knowledge of the international refugee resettlement program, immigrant populations in the U.S. and a multitude of social services experiences
- Gain valuable experience working in a fast-paced, dynamic multicultural environment.
- Gain experience learning how to interact and utilize interpretation services.
- Gain knowledge and experience with community service providers in the Lewiston area.
Program Contact: Fatuma Ismael – firstname.lastname@example.org or (207) 514-1471
Click Here to Apply Online
< Back to Volunteer Opportunities