Employment Services Intern (Summer or Fall 2022)- Refugee & Immigration Services - Portland
Refugee & Immigration Services
Refugee & Immigration Services
80 Sherman Street
Portland, ME 04101
Type(s) of Volunteer(s) Needed: Individuals; Students
Position description: Under the supervision of the Employment Case Manager, the Employment Services intern will assist refugees in employment preparedness, job applications and post-hire follow-up. The intern will work as part of the employment team to support the larger goals towards client employment success.
Under the supervision of the Employment Case Manager, the intern will assist refugees in securing employment by:
- Meeting with clients individually and/or in groups to teach them about American workplace culture, standards, and expectations
- Helping clients to develop resumes and cover letters and fill out job applications
- Conducting practice job interviews with clients
- Researching job opportunities for refugees and assisting with job club and employment orientation
- Other employment-related direct client service and administrative duties as needed
- If the intern has a license and is 21 or older, s/he may be asked to transport clients to employment related appointments
- Additional research projects and activities can be developed with the intern according to his/her particular interests
- Impact of opportunity: The Employment Services will support the mission of Catholic Charities Maine and RIS as the primary provider of resettlement services to refugees in Maine. One of the primary goals of RIS is to facilitate integration and promote self-sufficiency, a major part of which is helping refugees to secure employment. The Employment Services intern will be directly involved in work that helps refugees find employment and become part of their new community.
Qualifications & Skills Required:
- Self motivated and able to take initiative and work independently
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills
- College degree (or working toward degree) in International Relations, Business, Social Work, Sociology, Communications, or related field
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Solid background in Microsoft Office – Word, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Experience and/or interest in working with diverse populations and a multicultural staff
- Bi-lingual in Arabic, Somali or French is preferred, but not required
Training Offered: Catholic Charities Volunteer Orientation, Introduction to RIS and employment services; Additional training as needed.
Time Commitment/Schedule: Flexible scheduling of 15-20 hours each week based on your availability. Once a schedule has been established, commitment and consistency is required. This is an unpaid internship - and there is a possibility for this internship to go though the Spring semester if desired.
- Gain substantial insight into the refugee resettlement and acculturation processes and an increased understanding of the diverse cultures among us
- Gain valuable experience working in a fast-paced, dynamic, multicultural environment
- The opportunity to develop and facilitate a comprehensive employment plan for clients with the employment team
Program Contacts: Karen Brewer at [email protected] or [email protected] Volunteer Services
Click Here to Apply Online
< Back to Volunteer Opportunities